Tuesday, January 7, 2014

I Learned Something New Tuesday

This is hopefully the first of many Tuesdays to come where I share something new that I've learned recently. I was thinking about what I wanted to share on the blog and I realized we're all constantly learning something new every single day - even if we don't think it seems significant. What might not be significant to you could be eye opening for someone else (and vice versa) so we should all share. So let me start...

I recently learned how to shorten URLs using sites such as bitly.com and tinyurl.com. I created a free account with bitly (I purely chose it because it was a more attractive site than TinyURL) in order to reap the statistical benefits but no account is necessary. Simply go to bitly, enter your URL at the top of the page and click submit. You will instantly have a shortened version and stats showing how many clicks your link receives.  

Since I tend to be rather wordy - in posts and post titles - shortening URLs has been helpful for me when I post links to Facebook and Twitter. The bitly version makes it easy to share and more manageable although I'll admit that it also makes it difficult to identify before clicking on it.

My account also reports data such as the number of clicks, when and where the link was clicked and the geographic location of that user. Pretty cool! I haven't been using it long enough to really get into detail but I'm excited to keep learning about it.

I'm really curious, though....and please feel free to leave your answers in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment