Saturday, September 7, 2013

Be the Change You Wish to See in the World

...Or better yet, in your own life. Take action. Do something. Change things that you wish were different.

I promise I won't go all Gandhi on you.... BUT that one, simple statement is such a challenging imperative. I say imperative because it's necessary that we make changes - rather than just complain - if we want to live in a different world or picture our lives working out differently. It's easy to "talk the talk" but what matters is if you can "walk the walk." Realistically, a Facebook status or idle rant isn't going to change anything.






I'll be the first to admit that I'm guilty of it myself. I complain about certain obligations or responsibilities at work. I compare my life to others' lives and think everything must come easy to them. In reality, I (we) need to make things happen and be the change that we need in our own lives.


It's okay to start small. I've recently made a conscious effort to stop venting about things to my parents and I've noticed that not only am I sure they're happy not having certain things unburdened on them...I'm happier too.


As another example, I am getting my own blog off the ground rather than merely reading others' and thinking of the blog I have always considered starting. It's cathartic. I'm happy getting my thoughts out and having something that I need to hold my self accountable to. It's a change that I needed to make and something that I want to keep going.


I realize that this is easier said than done but I know that for me, it's time to practice what I'm trying to preach. Why not make some changes in my life to help me live the life I want to lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment