Friday, April 4, 2014

To Quote Justin Timberlake: What Goes Around Come Back Around

As I've gotten older, I've begun to realize just how easy it is to take things for granted. Tangible things like food on the table, clothes on my back & a roof over my head as well as the intangibles like a happy family and loving friends. Last weekend, I decided to acknowledge it and give back through an opportunity that the Holy Cross Alumni Association provided. I truly believe that "What goes around comes back around" and although it might sound selfish, I think that if I do what I can to help others now then ultimately, someone else will help me when I am in need.

 

I spent a few hours of my Saturday afternoon at Cradles to Crayons, an organization that provides, clothing shoes, toys and school supplies to kids in need. I sorted through clothing donations ensuring that the items the kids would receive were high quality. The organization stressed that quality equals dignity, which is something I had never really had to think about before. It tends to be the faded/stained/not-so-gently worn clothing that I'm quickest to donate and I will now be more conscious of the fact that a stain is a stain and a rip is still a rip. That was my lesson regarding tangible things.


The other lesson that I learned was about the intangibles. I come from your typical, happy, nuclear family with a mom, a dad and a brother but can we really define a "typical" or "nuclear" family these days? Sorting through clothing we were instructed to weed out any items that referenced a mother or father or siblings because you can't assume that everyone comes from the same familial background. Additionally, any reference to schools below college level couldn't be included so as not to make assumptions about a child's access to different types of schooling.


The experience reminded me to be less self absorbed sometimes and more aware of those around me. We can help others just by being cognizant of issues around us and advocating for those in need. Do you have a favorite organization to help out at or contribute to?

No comments:

Post a Comment